Home About us Current issue Back issues Submission Instructions Advertise Contact Login   

Search Article 
  
Advanced search 
 
Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation
Users online: 720 Home Bookmark this page Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font size Increase font size 

RENAL DATA FROM ASIA-AFRICA Table of Contents   
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 30  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 1431-1438
Prevalence and risk factors of chronic kidney disease in overweight and obese population in a tertiary care hospital in North India


1 Department of Nephrology, Opal Hospital, Kakarmatta, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Department of Clinical Physiology, Opal Hospital, Kakarmatta, Uttar Pradesh, India
3 Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Pradeep Kumar Rai
Department of Nephrology, Opal Hospital, Kakarmatta, Varanasi – 221 004, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/1319-2442.275488

Rights and Permissions

Obesity has already been a global epidemic, and its prevalence has been projected to grow by 40% in the next decade. Its increasing prevalence has implications on the epidemiology of chronic kidney disease (CKD), which, in turn, could impact the health system and thereby the society in an adverse manner. Lack of community-based screening programs can lead to missed or late detection of CKD. The current study aims to estimate the prevalence of CKD in overweight and obese general population attending a screening camp in a tertiary care hospital in a North Indian city. In this cross-sectional study, 103 overweight and obese people from a community attending a health camp were screened for serum creatinine, urine analysis, random blood sugar, and uric acid. Demographic and anthropometric parameters were noted. Binary logistic regression analysis was used to find the predictors of CKD in these patients. The median age of the participants was 43 years with a male predominance (68%). More than half (58.4%) of the participants were obese and the remaining 41.6% were overweight. The overall prevalence of CKD was 17.5%. Individuals with obesity and diabetes were more prone to develop CKD (odds ratio = 4.868 and 7.941, respectively). CKD was prevalent in individuals with obesity. Obesity and diabetes were the significant predictors for the development of CKD. All the overweight and obese individuals should be periodically screened for kidney diseases.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article  Email this article
    

  Similar in PUBMED
    Search Pubmed for
    Search in Google Scholar for
   Citation Manager
  Access Statistics
   Reader Comments
   Email Alert *
   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed77    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded16    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal