Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2016  |  Volume : 27  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 942--949

Hypertension in hemodialyzed children


Shatha Hussain Ali1, Salman Hussain Assi2, Fadhil S Hussien3 
1 Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Al-Nahrain University, Baghdad, Iraq
2 Imamane Al-Khadhimain Medical City, Baghdad, Iraq
3 Ibn Al-Baladi Teaching Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq

Correspondence Address:
Shatha Hussain Ali
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Al-Nahrain University, P. O. Box 70074, Baghdad
Iraq

Hypertension (HTN) is one of the most common sequelae of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in children. Dialysis-related HTN is predominantly caused by chronic volume overload, and as such the blood pressure (BP) can be reduced and/or brought down to normal in a sizable number of patients with improved salt and fluid balance. This study was conducted to assess the prevalence of HTN among children on hemodialysis (HD) and to evaluate the correlation of HTN with some demographic data. This is a prospective study performed on forty pediatric patients with CKD receiving maintenance HD in three centers in Baghdad. HTN was defined as BP ≥95 th percentile for age, height, and sex or use of antihypertensive medications. HTN was recorded in 27 patients on HD (67.5%), while the BP was normal in the other 13 patients (32.5%). There was no significant correlation between HTN and gender, age, or etiology of CKD. Duration of the HD session, number of sessions per week, total duration on HD, and blood flow rate also had no statistical correlation with HTN. Only serum albumin showed a significant correlation with BP.


How to cite this article:
Ali SH, Assi SH, Hussien FS. Hypertension in hemodialyzed children.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2016;27:942-949


How to cite this URL:
Ali SH, Assi SH, Hussien FS. Hypertension in hemodialyzed children. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl [serial online] 2016 [cited 2020 Feb 25 ];27:942-949
Available from: http://www.sjkdt.org/article.asp?issn=1319-2442;year=2016;volume=27;issue=5;spage=942;epage=949;aulast=Ali;type=0